As we pass through the third month of the lockdown due to covid-19 many are starting to feel anxious and frustrated with this condition. As we are stuck at home almost 24 hours a day it can be challenging for many especially for those who are used to always be outside prior covid-19. However this can have influence on sustaining a healthy mental health. What I would like to address is how we can sustain a strong mental health during this anxious times. Despite the covid-19 pandemic we can still maintain a healthy mental health. It’s important that we always work towards building and maintaining our mental health so we can live a healthy lifestyle. Many common symptoms during these times are: anxiety, worry, and feeling of uncertainty, depression, financial problems and many more. However it’s important to acknowledge that it’s not the first time that we live through fear and crisis. We have definitely lived through many crisis and period of fear which in turn can be learning experience. Even though this might sound counter-intuitive but through a crisis we learn the skills and techniques to navigate out of a crisis which serves us in the future. Well now with us living through this current crisis we can learn to navigate out of some issues we face due to the covid-19 pandemic. Here are some tips that I would like to share on how to sustain a healthy mental health during covid-19:
- Acknowledge that periods of fear and crisis are normal throughout are life times and that we can eventually come out of these crisis.
- Practice calm and patience when listening to the much news coming out despite many sad and stressful stories.
- Continue to educate yourself on a daily basis especially that now we are stuck at home and have lots of free time.
- There are plenty of virtual mental health and counselling services offered. Make use of these services as they are in place to serve people.
- Still keep connecting with family, friends, neighbours and work colleagues as this helps relieve loneliness and acts as source to share your needs and thoughts.
That is all I would like to share. There are defiantly many more tips and advice. Hope everyone finds this helpful.